Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

comparator question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fabioedl

Electrical
Sep 17, 2003
US
Hi all,

I have a question about comparator. I need to design a circuit that will detect a negative voltage. I have the positive input tied to GND and the negative input is tied to the signal. The comparator I am planning to use is the LMV761 from National Semiconductor. I don't have negative supply in my circuit to power up the comparator. I am using +5V and GND. My question is: Can I sense the negative voltage (it is about -0.7V) without damaging the comparator? If this is going to damage it, is there a way to sense it?

Regards,

Fabio Pereira

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Since you tied the positive input to ground, you will compare to ground. So it won't work.

You can solve the problem by balancing your negative input voltage with a voltage divider that divides your +5 V and your input signal so that the result is zero when the input is -0.7 V.

Tie a 10 kohm resistor between +5 V and negative input. The tie a 1.2 kohm resistor from input signal to negative input. That will give you zero output from the comparator for all voltages more positive than about -0.61 V

Adjust (increase the 1.2 kohms until you have the correct level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back