Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

compare steel types 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoavac

Electrical
Feb 4, 2009
US
Hi everyone,
I am building a magnet that will go into vacuum. It must be small (chamber limitations) and reach 0.1T
As of now I am using steel 1018 but read in a journal that 1010 was used with better results.

I can't seem to find anywhere to compare these too steels (mu and other parameters) as well with other steels.

Question 1: anyone know where I can find such information?

I also found out that supermalloy has a very high mu. that would help me reduce the current I run thus reducing the heat created as a result.

Question 2: does anyone know if supermalloy can go into vacuum and if it can be shaped on a lathe machine?

thanks guys

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is this for an AC or DC application? If AC, then what frequency?

1010 will have a slightly higher magnetic output than 1018, becuase it has less carbon in it. For most applications, you won't notice a difference. There is data on this in the scientific literature, but probably scattered around a number of different papers.

Supermalloy can go into a vacuum, but it is processed as very thin sheets so you will not be able to shape it on a lathe.

Supermalloy will produce much less magnetic output than 1018 or 1010 steel, unless you are taking about an AC application.

thanks for the info.

It is for a DC application.
Do you (or anyone else) have a good idea for something else that I can use instead of 1018 with a higher mu?

Thanks

1018 steel will contain 98+% iron.

If you can afford it, Vanadium Permendur will have a higher output than iron/steel. It's very expensive and you have to heat treat it to get maximum properties.

Dear yoavac,

I can offer Electrical Core Iron Rod (.02% max Carbon) or Electomagnetic Iron (pure Iron) Strip (.008 max.% Carbon) Either one will offer a very low Hc and high permability.

Let me know if I can help!

Lloyd

lloyd@cmispecialty.com

thanks guys, MagMike, i'm not sure I want to start dealing with heat treatment beofre I can use it.
but MagneticIronGuy, your ideas might work.
thanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back