Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Comparing a three- layer Sandwich Panel with a one-layer one

Status
Not open for further replies.

shellp70

Mechanical
Apr 3, 2013
Hi dear friends,

I have modeled and derived equations for a 3 layer sandwich panel ( upper & Lower layers are Aluminium and the core is Carbon/ Epoxy ). I want to validate my results with a one layer panel which is made up of Aluminium.

Is it correct to replace Aluminium properties with properties of 3 layer panel ?! I mean each of three layers have Aluminium properties ?!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First, curiosity forces me to ask why you would want an Al/CF/Al sandwich.

Second, its not clear to me what you are asking.
If you are asking if it is appropriate to validate your design by doing an analysis of a single piece of aluminum that is as thick as your sandwich the answer would be no, this would obviously neglect the effect of the carbon fiber "core."

If you're asking if it is appropriate to calculate the properties of the sandwich panel as a whole, and use the result as the equivalent moduli for a single orthotropic plate, the answer can be yes, but proceed with caution as many assumptions are made with the simple formulas for equivalent moduli.

A more thorough description of your panel, goals, and application is likely to help get a response from others in the forum.

Actually, that wasn't my idea to design a AL/C-Epoxy/AL !! Having a composite course and its assignment, force me to that!!

I derived the equation of motion of this beam ( Vibration analysis !!) and now I want to validate or my results with a one-layer AL beam!! How does it possible?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back