Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Comparing Concrete Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

alshaiji

Structural
May 31, 2002
US
Hi all,
i was asked by my boss to find the minimum steel ratio in concrete columns in more than 5 codes. in the ACI i recall its 1%. i am trying my best to look in the web for other codes. up to now i got NOTHING.
if someone can point out where to find the solution keeping in mind a refrence to the source will be very helpfull.
yours
alshaiji

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Alshaiji,

The minimum reinforcement for a concrete column in Canada is also 1.0%. This is a requirement of CSA 23.3 (clause 10.9.1).

However, this lower limit can be reduced to 0.5% "provided that the axial and moment resistances are multiplied by the ratio pt/0.01." (ie. if the percentage of steel is 0.75% and your calculated axial resistance is 5 kips, you would have to further reduce the axial resistance by 0.75, to 3.75 kips.). This is described in clause 10.10.5.

In practice, the minimum reinforcement is no lower than 1.0%.

CottageGuy

AS 3600 1994 (the Australian Concrete Code) also specifies a basic minimum reinfircement area of 1% times the gross area, but offers a reduction for columns which are larger than needed for strength alone (Austim comment - eg if the architect prefers the look of oversized columns).

In that case, the squash load of the reinforcement (Fy*Asc) must exceed 15% of the applied (factored) axial load on the column.

Turkish Code (TS500-2000) imposes the min. reinf. ratio as 0.01 but if the amount of reinf. required for the cross section is increased 30% this limit can be reduced to 0.005.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back