Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Comparing flame measurements with CFD combustion simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULFmbd

Marine/Ocean
Nov 17, 2004
US
Hi all,
for improving our combustion simulation code KIVA3V we want to do endoscopic optical investigations on our diesel test engine. In a first step we want to do simple soot luminiscense recording.
The problem is how to compare measurement and simulation (2D photos of the real flame but 3D results of the CFD-simulation)? For simulation I can calculate the radiation of the soot particles in the burning flame with Stefan-Boltzman law for grey bodys. How can I get an comparable value from the measurments? Does anybody know a formula or literature where to find this information?

Thanks an best regards,
Ulf

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You might try looking in,
G. Borman and K.Nishiwaki, “A Review of Internal Combustion Engine Heat Transfer,” Prog. Energy Combustion Science, vol. 13, pp. 1-46, 1987.
Or of perhaps more interest,
P. Flynn, et al., “Experimental Determination of Instantaneous Potential Radiant Heat Transfer within an Operating Diesel Engine,” SAE paper 720022, SAE Trans, vol. 81, 1972.

What are you using for emissivity in your calculations?

For calculating the emissivity I use a formula from SAE2007-24-0044 "Validation of Eulerian Spray Concepts coupled with CFD Combustion Analysis" from D. Suzzi or Siegel R., et al "Thermal radiation Heat Transfer, Hemisphering Publishing, Washington 1981.

Actually I don't have all constant values for the caluclation yet. Approximately I will use for emissivity a value of about 0.9 for first tests.

Thanks and regards
Ulf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back