Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

COMPARISON BETWEEN DIRT TAKEOFF PROGRAMS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

engseeker

Civil/Environmental
Apr 19, 2006
US
Hi,
I stumbled across this site while doing a search on Google. Really don't know how I missed it. This is an excellent site for people to get a better handle on what they are doing by reading about what others are doing in the same field and what other practices and methods, opportunities and options are available.

I have been doing takeoff using Agtek over the past three to four years. Recently I had to change jobs because of personal circumstances and maybe that was overdue in any case.

Anyway, in the new place I use Insite. Despite some good aspects this program contains, on an overall basis quite frankly it sucks. While it does give you the basic answers you are looking for getting there is an uphill task compared to what you have to do with Agtek. Not only that -- it lacks basic CAD functionality. You cannot "grip" a contour when you click on it but for in some circumstances. When you move the mouse on the desk the job on the screen does not move. You have to use the pan feature all the time, which is a big pain etc. Jobs that run into more than one sheet end up being separate sections that cannot be integrated and there are other shortcomings. I am in the process of compiling a list of features and listing the capabilities of both Agtek and Insite against each feature. In the meanwhile if anybody else has evaluated these programs separately, I will be very glad if you can give me your input. I realize that Insite does have some good features. But these are things are can be worked around using the current capability of Agtek.

FINALLY PLEASE DO NOT GET ME WRONG. I AM NOT AN AGTEK SALESMAN AND I AM NOT ADVERTISING FOR THE PROGRAM. INSITE DOES A GOOD JOB. IT IS JUST THAT IT IS ON THE OVERALL BEHIND TECHNOLOGY. IT IS GOOD TO SEE THE SAME PROBLEM APPROACED IN DIFFERENT WAYS. ROUGHLY SPEAKING IT SEEMS AS THOUGH THAT INSITE TAKES CARE OF DIRT MOVING CONTRACTORS IN THE EAST AND AGTEK DOES THE SAME FOR THOSE IN THE WEST.
THIS DESPITE THE FACT I'VE SEEN MANY COMPANIES IN THE EAST ADVERTISE ASKING FOR THOSE WHO KNOW AGTEK !!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Engseeker:

I used Paydirt for ten years, have used agtek the last 3-4, and tried Insite on the demo plan a couple years ago. Each has some pluses and minuses. Agtek is a very powerful tool with some tremendously convenient features. And it's priced like a cadillac too. Insite has some nice features, but when I tried it it also had some limitations I didn't like at all. I don't know whether they've been improved in recent years. Paydirt is a good program that has some capabilities Agtek doesn't but isn't nearly as cad friendly. I work in a high volume, large project situation, and all in all I think Agtek fills the bill best for me. The others each can serve their own niches quite well though.

My name is Steve Warfle. I am the product manager from InSite Software Inc. I too read this forum and find it very informative. We have been designing software for the excavating industry for 18 years and value our customers input.

In reading your comments I have come to the conclusion you are not running the most current version of InSite SiteWork. Please call us for information on how to upgrade to the most current version. The sales line is 1(877)746 7483.

I am not sure if you are aware of this, but purchase of InSite SiteWork entitles you to 24 hour technical support 7 days a week no matter how out of date your software is (to clarify…..even if you are running one of our old DOS systems, support is free). The 24 hour tech support line number is listed in your user manual.

We are aware there are other products available, and you may be frustrated because you are learning a new and different system. I use many software programs and over the years I have been forced to switch from one application to another and it is never easy. But we’ve worked with hundreds of customers over the years in your shoes and managed to make them extremely productive.

Call us and explain what trouble you may be experiencing. We’ll help you figure out the best way to overcome it. Sometimes it may require you to e-mail us a CAD file or Take-off file. Or it may involve setting up a Web based training session with you to help clarify how things are done and what the best take-off approach should be.

Finally, you may want to consider one of our two day training classes. We run them regionally around the country, at major airport hubs, making them easy to get to. These are very intense training classes that get right down to the nuts and bolts of how InSite SiteWork and Field General (layout and model building software) work, and how to get the most out of them.

Thank You,
Steve Warfle
Product Manager,
InSite Software Incorporated.
1(877)746-7483

I had been using since past year the Quest Earthworks and It gave me great results. Maybe it could be a little limited than other CAD versions but I think it has other features that will make your dirt take off a lot easier.
From my expierence 2 differents engineer did the dirt take off for aprox 5000cy the cad program showed a fill when Eqartworks showed 700cy of fill. After the project was built the 700 cy where neccesary to finish the project.
At the same time Earthworks has a Layout tool where you can stake where you want and then take this points into a total station.
I hope this help you out.

I made a mistake in my last reply. I meant that the first engineer using the CAD program showed a CUT, when Earthworks showed 700cy of Fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back