Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Comparison of Erosion Control Measures? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherie

Civil/Environmental
Jun 7, 2004
US
We're designing a large detention basin (10 acre site, 6.1 ac-ft of storage), with 2:1 side slopes.

Could someone give a summary of what each of the measures listed below is, including whether it is temporary or permanent, and compare the advantages and disadvantages of each? (For example, cost vs. practicality, when would one option be used vs. the others.)

The options I'm curious about are: hydro-mulch, plastic netting, erosion control blanket, and turf reinforcement mat. Thanks, Cherie

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think it is time for you to take a one day seminar on erosion control. You haven't even touched on Geo-web, cable concrete or heavy root plantings.

...Let the seminar begin, it will take far less than a day here at lha university:

hydro-mulch - cheapest, temp, not in swales, only 3:1 or less steep grade

plastic netting - next cheapest, temp, in low flow swales and 2:1 or less steep grade

erosion control blanket - reasonable $ (varies greatly), temp or perm, most swales, 2:1 or less steep grade

turf reinforcement mat - high cost, perm, all swales, shorelines, all grades

Geo-web - high cost, perm, excellent velocity breakers but also require TRM or ECB

cable concrete - high cost, perm, best protection, need crane to install, unlimited use

heavy root plantings - most attractive, cost varies (you might be able to coordinate with screening requirements, so that line item gets split in your cost estimate, not permitted on embankments in southcentral PA, USA (can breach watertightness/integrity of embankment.

*Awesome*, thanks for the concise and informative comparison, Iha. Thanks also to dicksewerrat for listing 3 more options for Iha to include in his quick tutorial.

We went with the erosion control blankets because we knew the City would approve them, and that they were reasonable for our application. It's better to know what the other options are and how they compare, though, so thanks.

Thought I wouild add one more somewhat inexpensive alternative. Dumped riprap! Material may be available from excavation of basin. Permanent flexible protection. In all my experience it is cheaper than geotextiles and lasts longer. We use it often for lining deten banks as well as channel banks. Costs about 60$ per cubic yard.

for arid climates, we often use gravel mulch or decomposed granite mulch about 2 or 3 inch thickness. Price is about $30 per ton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back