Compatibility between Solid Works and PDM Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

doneirik

Electrical
Jun 3, 2005
NL
Hi,

Does anyone have experience running PDM Works Enterprise 2008 with SolidWorks 2007? Any incompatibilities between them?

regards
t.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe PDMworks (comes with SW PRO) Allows you to be 1 release behind (2008 will support 2007 and 2008). If I remember correctly from my VAR PDMWorks Enterprise allows you to either go back a couple more versions or has no limit on older revisions. If it did become a problem you could run a batch conversion at night using the SW Scheduler. I would recommend making a copy of the files in a zip folder or something first just some sort of corruption happened.

thanks folks,

Doesn´t this makes it difficult to use PDM Works for document management (of Solid Works Files) in the long run?

I mean, finishing a project now (2008) you have all SW files in 2008 version. Then, if you do not change the files, but still want to keep them in the vault for some years, how would it be in, say 2015? Then you might have PDM Works 2015, but the old SolidWorks Files of 2008 won´t be supported anymore.

t.

Good question. I will find out somewhat in a few months when 2009 comes out because I have some 2007 files in the vault right now.

It is common practice to run the conversion wizard on all files in the vault when migrating to the new version. If you do that when upgrading to 2009 all of the files get updated to 2009. If this is done for each version, come 2015 all of the files in the vault will be 2014.

The down sides of this are: once a file is converted you can no longer open it in the old version, and you have to trust SW to do the update correctly. For both of these reasons it is a very good idea to back up your vault prior to updating.

Eric

GRF said:
I believe PDMworks (comes with SW PRO) Allows you to be 1 release behind (2008 will support 2007 and 2008).

Just an FYI, PDMWorkgroups ( comes with SW Pro) does not support major versions outside of its own. i.e. PDMWorks 2008 only works with SW 2008. I have tried this before and now it to be

Joe Hasik, CSWP
SW 08 x64, SP 4.0
SW 09 x64, BETA 1
Dell T3400
Intel Core2 Quad
Q6700 2.66 GHz
3.93 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back