Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compatibility issue with PDF files

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicopee

Mechanical
Feb 15, 2003
US
I still do word processing on an older computer with a Windows 98 OS. Is there any way to read PDF files that can be viewed with Windows 2000 or higher with windows 98?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is a backup computer which I need to use as two others with Windows 2000 died. I ,also, have a two year old system with Windows 7 but my wife uses most of the time. At the moment, an IT guy is putting a system with add-ons together and it will be a while before I get it.

Try Sumatra PDF reader. They do not advertise it as Win 98 compatible, but it runs on XP and there is a good chance it will run on Win 98 as well. It is very lightweight, but will also display epub and mobi formats.

If this does not work I suggest you look in your box where you keep the old CDs that came with old printers, computers etc. Many of these old CDs contained manuals in PDF format, and they usually included the then current version of Adobe Reader. You might get lucky and find an old version of Adobe Reader that works on Win 98.

Katmar Software - AioFlo Pipe Hydraulics

"An undefined problem has an infinite number of solutions"

The general question that I have is Adobe or Sumatra PDF readers able to open PDF files destined for Windows 2000 or higher. I researched both softwares and there is no info. on the subject.

You are right - there is very little available regarding revisions to the pdf file structure over the years. Generally I have avoided the continual Adobe updates because the software has become so bloated and generally unfriendly. But this has resulted in my out-of-date Adobe Reader installation being unable to open newer files on occasion, so you are right to be concerned.

In this regard the Adobe software is probably your worst option - the new versions are unlikely to run under Win 98 and the old versions that will run, won't open the new files. I don't have specific experience, but I guess Sumatra or one of the many other free readers will give you the best chance. I haven't used Foxit, but it got a good review for this purpose at

Katmar Software - AioFlo Pipe Hydraulics

"An undefined problem has an infinite number of solutions"

Maybe there are sites that allow you to open the PDF "in the cloud" so to speak? I'm just guessing here, but the websites Knovel, Scribd, Google Books and more will all let you view "their" PDF documents on-line without actually downloading them. So maybe there's a website out there that will allow you to view any PDF, as long as you provide a link, or upload it to them. Then you can view a PDF of any vintage without installing Acrobat at all (may need a browser plug-in though).

STF

There's at least one such site:
TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

Google search:
The cited link above works with the direct Engineering.com link from a posted PDF file, i.e., I posted a PDF, copied the actual download link: and pasted the link into the first website. But, that site's usability is low, since each page is separately linked and there is no way to scroll through the entire document.

This one: seems to be the best out of the three I tried

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

Chicopee,
You might look at PDF forge and PDF architect. I do not know if they will run on the older machines , but it can't hurt to look.
This will run on windows XP so it should run on Win 98. These programs are free for the basic parts, but they have little add -ons for $10 or so for some features. I use PDF forge for turning cad drawings into PDFs.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

http://download.cnet.com/PDF-Architect/3000-18497_4-75886646.html
You might consider installing a lightweight Linux partition. Linux can run well on old hardware and has some very nice PDF viewers. Puppy Linux or Browser Linux might be a good fit. They recommend you have at least 256MB or RAM and a 512MB swap file.

Here's a video to show you how to boot Linux from a USB drive: (You can also chuckle at the presenters trying to load Ubuntu Linux onto an ancient laptop)

Once you've got that up and running, a lightweight PDF viewer like XPDF should work fine for you and should open just about any modern PDF file.

Good luck!

-Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back