Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Compatibility of Spiral Wound Gasket (SPW) with Flanges having Different Surface Finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Awais Arshad

Mechanical
Oct 27, 2022
PK
Hi all,

We have a case where the mating flange has different surface finish compared to the top flange; one flange has a surface finish value of Ra 3.2-6.3 um, while the other has a surface finish value of 1.6 um.

As per my literature research, the SPW gasket works find under such configuration. Still, being a forum of expert engineers, will appreciate if the members can shed light on the case i.e. if a Spiral Wound Gasket will operate or work fine @ DP = 35 kg/cm2g & DT= 220 dC under different flange surface finishes as mentioned earlier.

Regards,
Awais

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The only times I have had problems with spiral gaskets sealing the problem was either bad alignment of the flanges or insufficient clamping force. The surface finish is recommended to have roughness in a phonograph pattern, but is otherwise less critical to sealing.
Recommendation is to follow the guidance in the OEM technical manual (see the flexitalic design manual).
If you encounter a situation where the spiral component of the gasket unwinds, consider ordering the gasket with an inner ring.

Thank you for the response. I couldn't catch up in time due to some personal reasons. Inner ring could not be ordered due to geometry constraints. However, we resolved the issue by replicating design of a fellow company having similar geometry and service - upon their consent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back