Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compendial quality grade for water used in lab analytical testing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

npomies

Chemical
Mar 14, 2005
IE
Hello,

We are a solid dose products manufacturer. We are currently installing a water system that will supply water to Lab for analytical testing.

However we don't know what is the minimum requirement in terms of water quality where the water is used by the laboratory for analytical testing: does it need to be "purified water" or "de-ionised" will do? and what level of testing / monitoring should be undertaken?

Could anyone give me a tip on that one?

regards,
N

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi

I am Prasanna Venkatesh, a consultant in the Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS) domain. I am new member to this forum and look forward for a symbiotic relationship.

I have some info for your query. Check this link this has the ASTM Standard Specifications for Reagent Water used in analytical labs. Hope this will be useful to you.

Thanks.

The water quality must be based on the tolerance that the analytical tests have for the contaminants that are found in water. Your chemists will need to provide you those guidelines based on the type of testing they will perform and the required accuracies etc. The information on the web site referenced by prasanna shows what types of contaminants are involved, and the methods of purification needed to remove them.
Different qualities are required for different tests, if these requirement vary widely, designing the entire system for the most stringent test may be expensive. Often, small point-of-use treatment units are used at the drops to those applications, whereas the rest of the system is of a lesser quality.

I refer you to the USP for specific and general information on water quality for analytical testing. The USP has specs for various grades of water and each test usually lists the grade of water required for that test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back