Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Competitions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriegen

Mechanical
Nov 3, 2006
US
Has anyone been in any design competitions? Do they hold them annually? I have been in a real design mood lately and have been wanting to know about some of these competitions. The only ones I have found are for high schoolers or undergrad college students. I would love to have some extra engineering fun outside of work all the time.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In the UK they had a robot olympics that was televised each year. It wasn't battle bots/robot wars if that's what you're thinking.

They had different events and people built robots for them.

looks like they canned it although there is a link on there to something else.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

There are a lot of design competitions, and yes, there are a lot within mechanical, depending on your discipline.

The best way to find out about them are:
a) Google
b) ask your colleagues
c) your association
d) vendors

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Well google seems to only bring up the undergrad comps or even high school
Just looking for something to maybe try and make some extra credit to my name or money in my pocket. Either one would be nice. I am told that I am not bad, but could use some work. So I figure a competition would maybe give me some better motivation. so yeah if anyone sees something specific you could send me a link or something like that.

Have you considered acting as an advisor to one of those high school/undergrad competition teams? You get to do some design work (but not all of it), promote engineering to the youngsters, and write it all off as volunteer work.

Just off the top of my head, there's a bunch of SAE competitions that seem to always be looking for judges. There's also a robotics competition called F.I.R.S.T. ( that's pretty big. I'm sure there's dozens more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back