Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Completely Stumped...

Status
Not open for further replies.

b18c5rjdm

Mechanical
Dec 2, 2005
US
I've created a part, saved it, and checked it into PDM... My supervisor checked it out and it has warnings.. It's a sketch that looses it's placement face, and the holes that goes with it. It is perfect on my machine. And we have identical machines! We are e-mailing the file to a CSWP to see if it fails on his machine. I don't understand this at all.. I've went through all the options and matched mine to his. Still doesn't work.. any suggestions/help?!?

Thanks in advance..

Go Honda!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

no, I work for the US Government. funny though, I needed a laugh. how did the holes stay there, I can ctrl-q the heck out of this thing and it stays the same...

Go Honda!

[no coffee yet] Perhaps they were put on a plane that was later deleted or built on a plane in the context of the assembly, and now the part is "orphaned" from the assembly such that the holes hang in space without their proper plane referenced?
[getting coffee now]

(Yeah, yeah, yeah--just getting going this morning.)

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe trumps reason.

I've seen it go both ways when a sketch loses its sketch plane. Sometimes it'll work, sometimes no.
Did you change the extrusion after creating the holes? If you only changed thicknes it shouldn't matter, but this is SolidWorks we're talking about.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
CAD Administrator
SW '07 SP2.0, Dell M90, Intel 2 Duo Core, 2GB RAM, nVidia 2500M

Seriously, where it's simply a part and all you did was create it, save it and check it into PDM and then it 'broke', I'd have to say that somehow you checked it in with the errors already there.
If you fix the error and then check it back in, does it stay fixed? Or, if your supervisor fixes it, checks it in and then you check it out, does it stay fixed?

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
CAD Administrator
SW '07 SP2.0, Dell M90, Intel 2 Duo Core, 2GB RAM, nVidia 2500M

Yes I did, then broke refs and fully defined the sketch.. I think this dog has been beaten enough, I just wanted to know why mine was fine and everyone else had errors/warnings.. Still confused as to why but I have to move on.. wasted almost 20 hours on this now...

Go Honda!

I think the assy you broke away from is on your pc. You need to search thru the whole sketch and remove any association to the assy.

Chris
SolidWorks 06 4.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 10-27-06)

Is Tools/Options/Performance "Verification on Rebuild" checked? This setting does more in depth error checking. Although for this kind of problem, it should show up.

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2006 SP5.0 on WinXP SP2
SolidWorks 2007 SP2.0 on WinXP SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back