Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Compliance with EMC directive of CE 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveRosser

Electrical
Jul 8, 2005
CA
My question is in regards to the EMC directive with respect to CE compliance.
First of all, I would like to determine if the EMC directive applies to us, and in what manner;
and secondly what we have to do to meet the requirements of the directive.
We design and manufacture automation equipment in the plastics industry. All of our machinery is custom built to customer specifications, and is therefore not production-line but manufactured one at a time and is intended for fixed installation. We use standard electrical/electronic and pneumatic components, using PLC's and VFD's located in control panels. All of the control components are manufactured in europe and are CE compliant.
I dont see how we could send our equipment out for EMC testing in any practical manner, as it is very large and the testing seems to cost more than the machine.

Any information that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Any machines or equipment offered for sale within the EU must be compliant with all relevent directives. Electromagnet Compatability is one directive.

The directive can be found at :

There are guidelines to the older version of the directive at :
and new draft guidelines at :

Hope this is of some assistance.

You don't have to send your equipment out for EMC testing. There is several companies that that will come to your site and do this. We have an entire manufacturing cell (comprised of ten machines) going to Poland. We hired I2T to help us get CE mark, do all the testing, technical construction file, etc. Visit their website for info:
David Baird
mrbaird@hotmail.com
Sr Controls Engineer
EET degree.
Journeyman Electrician.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back