Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Component location in space NX9 (back to Absolute) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

carliro

Mechanical
Oct 8, 2012
PL
Hi Guys,

Lately I am working with assembly AA where I have added my component A in specific axial location i.e. 100in from CSYS and I used fix constrain for that component in assembly AA. After that I realized I need to change the way of modeling and model A reposition in A part itself to 90in from zero and I wish to have it in the same location in AA (means 90). Is it possible to change specific position of component A in assy AA to ABSOLUTE with adding that part from the beginning? Absolute position works this way that anytime it change position in part A it will automatically position my part in AA in that position i.e. in 90in from CSYS.

thanks
K.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Anyone can help with that as above?

Is it possible to reset the position of the component to absolute after the part was positioned in special location i.e. by constrains?

thx
K.

Assume you do not want to delete the component and add it back to absolute.

In that case,
Make sure you delete all the assembly constraints for the component you want to move.
Set your display part to the component part to be moved.
Set WCS to absolute.
Save the WCS. Format -> WCS -> Save.
Change displayed part back to the assembly.
Double click the Component to make it the work part. (Make sure the reference set of the component changes to 'Entire Part')
Orient WCS to the saved CSYS of the component part.
Change work part back to assembly.
Move component -> CSYS to CSYS. (Move from WCS to Absolute CSYS of assembly).

Suresh

Thanks guys for help.

Ufsure - I like your way of positioning the parts,

what this step does: Orient WCS to the saved CSYS of the component part?

your process works well but is there any option to make it very quick for more components? Or verify if some of them that I select are in that "Zero" location csys to csys?

SDeters- thanks this is also helpful I even didnt expect that I will need such program :)

K.

this is an old limitation in NX that it isn't possible to "reset" a component position. ( back to 0;0;0)
Logically there should not be a need for this action, - there is no such similarity in the real world, -imagine resetting the position of a brake disc on a car to 0;0;0...
But, it is a frequent request to do this in NX.

Regards,
Tomas

Kapmnit123 - thx for ppt I did the same, your answer clarified my assumption.

Toost- yes, in real hard to find that type of situation ... but if we could move in to the past (travel in time) in real that could be the explanation :):):):) that we want a model in place where it was earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back