Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Components & Cladding for Partially Open Buildings 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokiibear

Civil/Environmental
Sep 19, 2006
US
How does one design for components and cladding for a partially open building using ASCE 07-16 or 07-22? While I do see a definition for partially open buildings, and design for such for MWFRS, I don't see any design methods for CC.

Thank you,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's the same design procedure as for enclosed or partially enclosed, but with the partially open GCPi factors, which happen to be +/-0.18, same as enclosed.

From 7-16, I don't see provision here for partially open. I do see the GCPI factors from Tab 26.13-1. Am I missing something from Chp 30?

Snag_1eecccce_jgblri.png

In ASCE 7-22, partially open is included in those. My assumption is that they messed up and forgot to include it in ASCE 7-16.

My tin-foil hat opinion: Partially open was added simply because we aren't comfortable labeling buildings that are THAT "open" as "enclosed." Technically, "enclosed" or "partially enclosed" are just names applied to whether air that gets into (or doesn't get into) a building volume can escape or not. If it can get in, but not escape, it is "partially enclosed." If it can't get in (and therefore doesn't need to escape) it's "enclosed." However, if it's very open (but not "open") and the wind can get in and then get back out, that is technically "enclosed" even though it might just be a one walled building. Hence, we end up with Partially Open when really, it's just Enclosed.

This of course may very well change in the future and I'll be left here eating my hat.

smokiibear: Components and cladding shall be designed using Chapter 30 from ASCE 7-22 (OR ASCE 7-16). You first need to determine the velocity pressure as per Chapter 26 equations. Then, for cladding, determine the effective wind area. Then use the tables in Chapter 30 to get coefficients and finally use the equation 30.30-1 to calculate the pressure. Use +/-0.18 for partially open buildings as jdcollins suggested.

-Just a curious engineer

I was looking at ASCE 7-22 last night, and missed that Part 1 does cover partially open buildings. So, just as you both shared, that does work.

Thanks so much for your help.

Snag_475b4812_hbtix2.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back