Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Components of nodal forces 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

blazejpop

May 3, 2014
PL
I want to conduct a simple tensile analysis of a rectangular sample and get the corresponding force-strain curve. I know that I can measure the reaction force at nodes which belong to the displacement boundary condition. However I want to get also the force values measured somewhere in the interior of the sample.
Asking Abaqus for nodal forces history output results in time histories equal to 0 since the nodes are in equilibrium.
I noticed that if the NFORC variable in field output is requested I can query its values with Tools -> Query -> Element Probe values, which gives me the force components. And I think this is exactly what I need.

Is it possible to get one of these components as a history output for some node set so I could sum it over the entire section?

I heard that it is possible in LS-DYNA by selecting the elements and specifying which nodes, belonging to these elements, are of interest. Is a similar procedure available in Abaqus?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In this case it would be easiest to use the Free Body Cut tool that can show you internal force in a selected section of cut. This tool uses NFORC variable, by the way.

Thank you 'FEA way' for your advice, it was really helpful.
I read the documentation about this tool and it is very close to what I need.
The problem is I cannot generate a history output from this tool. I tried to find a way of exporting it's values from field output type to history output type, since it shows its results for each field output frame (it's not what I'm exactly looking for, but if I can do only this, I would be happy even with that). However, I couldn't find any new variable that it would create, it only presents its results graphically -- as an arrow and the summed value displayed near it.

Do you maybe know the way of exporting the results obtained with this tool as some numerical values?

You can create XY plot showing the history of resultant forces in selected section. Start from creating free body cut (Tools --> Free Body Cut --> Create) and then use Tools --> XY-Data --> Create --> Free body.

Great!
In the meantime I've also found that it can be exported with (Report -> Free Body Cut).
As I wrote earlier -- it's not what I was exactly looking for, but it's still very helpful.

Many thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back