Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Composite Material Machining Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeVV

Mechanical
Aug 1, 1999
US
Is anyone aware of sources for the following information regarding machining (cutting and drilling) of composite (graphite prepreg, .125 to 1.25 inch thick with foam core) materials: cutting tools, feeds and speeds, and restraint fixtures? I am designing tooling for such operations and would like to find engineers who have been down this learning curve.<br>
<br>
MJVanVoorhis@Compuserve.com<br>

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Greetings Mike,<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I don't have your specific answer but might suggest the website &quot;composite.about.com/industry/composite/msubmfgcustom.htm&quot;. It's rather hard to find. Go through &quot;About.com&quot;. It's a composite materials guidesite. There are many sites and companies that deal in this field at that location. Hope this fits your need. I welcome your responce and results.<br><br>Technovator

In my experience with carbon fiber pre-preg, I have found that it is best to grind.&nbsp;&nbsp;Use small cuts with lots of passes.&nbsp;&nbsp;Dont hurry this.&nbsp;&nbsp;If the pre-preg is sequentially layered, then you should cut from the high side so that you do not cut the edge, that is one sweep then back then move in and cut again etc.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br>Talk to the manufacturer of the fiber, Thiokol is a large manufacturer of this stuff.<br><br> <p>Edson Campos<br><a href=mailto:edsoncampos@earthlink.net>edsoncampos@earthlink.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back