Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Composite material properties needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikar

Industrial
Jun 18, 2002
ES
I am working with a FEA program, trying to adapt it to the needs of the company where I work (BIKAR, BIKAR produces compensators and expansion joints. At the moment I am working with the expansion joints, and I can simulate their shape, I can mesh them and I can apply constraints and loads on them. The problem appears with the joints' materials. As they are not very common, they are not in the program's library. Here is where I would need your help. The most important materials we use are:
- Rubber impregnated tire-cord (Rayon)
- Silicone coated glass fabric
- PTFE film laminated over fluoroplastic coated glass fabric
- Kevlar fabric
The data I need to define these materials is:
- Young's modulus
- Poisson's ratio
- Mass density
- Yield stress
I have been looking for these values in the web for a long time, with no result. I would be grateful if you could send me any of the information on these materials.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unless some supplier can help you, you will most likely have to conduct tests your self for those properties.... and there is not any FEA package that I know of, that will model laminated fiber-reinforced elastomeric materials, unless there are some very specific tire (cord-rubber) codes. I have done some testing and modeling of fiber-reinforced elastomers and am willing to answer questions. kfldp00@tamuk.edu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back