Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Composite Materials - Pressure Vessel

Status
Not open for further replies.

ella0509

Mechanical
May 19, 2004
GB
Hello all.

Anyone on here got any good knowledge of designing with composite materials for use in a pressure vessel assemblies - better still, for vehicle use?? Myself and the company I've just started for have no experience with these materials or assembly techniques, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

We're looking at changing the current Aluminium components (6" ID x 31" tubes and their manifolds) for items manufactured in composite. The main aim is to reduce overall assembly weight, and utilise some thermal insulation benefits ther may be.

The assembly is subject to internal pressure of 174psi at 122F and temperature of 500F at <10psi. This is in a continuous process / recovery cycle. As its a vehicle application, it is going to be subject to Shock (circa 40G) and vibration. It will also potentially see a good range of chemicals during its lifetime. Our suppliers are currently trying to find suitable materials. My main concerns at the moment are how I can attach the various components and still maintain suitable pressure seal and strength. The vibration, shock issue then adds more complexity to this.

If anyone has any good links or titles of books that they may think appropriate, then I would be really grateful for the pointers......

Regards,
Lee

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To try and get a handle on what you will have to consider in qualifying, manufacturing, joining, and installing these materials, you could do no worse than have a look at the four parts of ISO 14692 as a starter.

Steve Jones
Materials & Corrosion Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back