Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Composite Steel Floor Deck 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

dik

Structural
Apr 13, 2001
CA
Is there a minimum end bearing value for steel floor deck. I would have thought 2" or something of that ilk, but cannot locate this. Is this a matter for the manufacturer. Canadian practice, and cannot locate anything is CSA Standards or CSSBI Standards.

Thanks, Dik

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is the condition I'm looking at, with the composite deck bearing 1" on the horiz leg of the angle, and the angle is bearing 1" on the steel beam. I've not encountered this before and the composite connection must be secured to the angle for this to work. The composite deck is spanning left to right.

Clipboard01_pt1v0d.jpg

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Thanks BART... I often use coefficients based on observations.

For writing programs it's nice to see how they are derived and often easier. Also by knowing the variables involved, you can gain a bit of an understanding of how they influence the coefficient. I can accommodate coefficients by using arrays, or by determining a curve that fits them (if possible).

Some of the most difficult math I've done was 50 years back, unravelling the work that Rico Rosman (sp?) did for coupled concrete shear walls with openings... non-linear, non-homogeneous differential equations (sliderule days, not computer ones... I wouldn't have a clue about this today). It was my first realisation that you get a glimpse at how the variables work.

-----*****-----

-Dik

Just heard from Vulcraft:

"The minimum end bearing for our composite deck is 1.5” and it varies based on the web crippling capacity, see table below."

Clipboard01_eqh72i.jpg

-----*****-----

-Dik

This hopefully isn't too old of a bump.

I'm on a project where I measured 3/4" in one area for bearing and I told them it's inadequate and needs to be minimum 1.5". They have 25' lengths of deck so they will just have to burn 4' or so since it just doesn't reach to allow for more bearing at the ends. They are already correcting this by overlapping the next piece of deck all the way to the next joist, so were in the clear.

But still, I started down the path of checking the web crippling and I can't seem to get a decent answer.

Since it's a roof deck with polyiso insulation it's going to be LL=20 PSF and DL=8 PSF or so. Quite a small load. My span is 4'-2". The actual web crippling loads are quite low, and it looks like 3/4" is the lowest allowable bearing per AISI (N bearing length 3/4" minimum). I can't seem to get a good answer from AISI S100-16 equation G5-1.

This sort of isn't the right equation for this actual deck since I'm using a BA (B Dek accoustic) with holes in the vertical web. But I just wanted to check and see if I could calculate a real answer of maximum reaction Pn with my deck inputs.

I'm not getting something realistic or I'm way off of some parameter...attached excel file.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c3468087-e131-4b09-9535-0d7ba26b1564&file=web_crippling.xlsx
thanks... passed, but I'll take a look at the sheet.

-----*****-----

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back