Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compound curved object on an angle? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingo0z

Industrial
Nov 22, 2010
US
I have a week to get this drawn and dimensioned for production. I don't know how to do it. Its a wall that is radiused in the plan view and front elevation view. The face of it also slopes. To make matters more difficult, it's being covered with expensive ACM panels that need to be cut perfect to line up when pressed on this radius. I'm totally overwhelmed and freaking out on the inside trying to figure out how to do this.
Please, Please take a look at the attached .pdf file and at least give me a clue as to where/how to start modeling this in solidworks in order to get flat patterns of the ACM panels. The .pdf file is not to scale, but it does have all the dimensions provided to me thus far. The dimensions aren't as critical as much as the methodology. I can change the dimensions as needed once provided.

Thank you very much for your time. It is appreciated!
-Dan

P.S.
ACM panels are just 1/4" material with aluminum skin on both sides with a composite core, i'ts supposedly very stable in varying temperatures.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Attached is where I have attempted to draw this wall of panels, but I haven't been able to do it correctly because it's supposed to be on an angle which would make the bottom of the panels have a radius as well. Also, even as it's drawn... the software will not let me dimension the panels as they would be flattened. Maybe this drawing will help better describe?

Thanks again,
-Dan

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=2474b868-fe30-4319-987b-eb3af08ab595&file=Part2.SLDPRT
While sheet metal parts with compound curves can be created in SW, they cannot be flattened ... unless you are able to use a Lofted Bend.
You would need a third party partner product like Logopress or BlankWorks to flatten such a shape.

CorBlimeyLImey:
1. Can this be created with a lofted bend?
2.Is there no way to save a newer version SW file so it's compatible with older versions?
3. How would you recommend drawing this accuratley with the slope on the face, even it it can't be unfolded, it would still be nice to have a model. At this point, not even the designer has been able to provide a model of what we are to build. Just basis plan and elevation views (that aren't even realistic!)

1) Not sure yet. Will play later & let you know.

2) Only using a dumb slid conversion format (Parasolid, STEP, IGES, etc) which would have no feature tree.

3) See 1) above.
At this point, not even the designer has been able to provide a model of what we are to build. Just basis plan and elevation views (that aren't even realistic!)
That's typical of architects.

Yes :) it is typical.
Thanks for your help with this. Over the past couple hours I've come up with a lofted bend sheet metal part. It is sloped and curved when seen in top view, but still needs a radius at the top when seen from the front
view. I tried to achieve this with an extruded cut, but it gave errors. (sketch4).
I wonder if you could open this up and see it it's something simple preventing the extruded cut?
Please see attached.

Thanks Mr. CoreyBlimeyLimey!

-Dan

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=b1e43b9d-362b-4c4f-ae31-72ff5c17af90&file=Part3.SLDPRT
Thank you Mr. Limey... you are pretty much Awesome!!
While I may be wrong, I'm starting to feel like this project is at least within the realm of possibility :)

O.k,
Now I've got the front and back sheet metal components drawn. I created an assembly from the to of them for a good "visual". All I have left is the sheet metal radius top cap, but I don't know how to create the reference geometry to make this part. It would involve lofting between the compound curve radius at the top of the face and the radius at the top of the back. I don't know how to get the software to do that. There has got to be an approach I'm just not seeing yet. Any ideas?
Please see attached.
download.aspx

With the assy open;
Insert > Component > New Part
Select the back planar face. A new part should be created & remain in Edit Mode with an open sketch.
Use the Convert Entities tool to create a 2D curve from a top edge of the curved back face. Which edge will depend on the overlap required for the ACM.
Close the 2D sketch.
Start a 3D sketch inside the new part.
Convert an edge from the top of the front curved panel. Again, which edge depends on the overlap.
Close that 3D sketch.
Create the Lofted Bend from those two sketches.

Again, you are Awesome! The convert entities is like a magic wand! I also just learned you can create a lofted bend from a 3d sketch to a 2 sketch. Very useful information.
Thank you,
-Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back