Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compressed Air Instalation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joaco M

Industrial
Sep 13, 2016
UY
Hi everyone, Im preparing a proyect of a Olive Oil plant.

I have doubt whether I have to use stainless steel or if I could use galvanize steel for the compressed air system pipes .

The air will be used for the packaging machine and general equipments, actuators.

thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I use black carbon steel for general compressed air piping.

There are a variety of piping materials that are acceptable for use in compressed air systems.

These include: copper, brass, plastics, stainless steel, carbon steel and galvanized carbon steel.

Must the system comply with any food purity standards ? What grade of compressed air be provided ??????

Is the system subject to any sort of a "hot washdown", or Clean In Place ??

This guideline may help:

Please respect us .......and keep us in the loop and tell us of your final decision .....

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Thanks everyone for answering,

The compressed air is not going to be in contact with the olive oil, or at least it shouldnt,

The air is going to be used, for actuators, and in the maintanence shop, for repairing porpuses.

Also will be used in the packaging and bottling machine..

My doubt is when to use stainless steel and when simple carbon steel, in compressed air pipes.

Also Ive seen polipropilene..

Any guide when to use one or the other ??

Thanks

For small bore lines less than 2inch, and if they run through areas where access for external painting is next to impossible, use SS316.

Also galv. scrd. piping is a good choice, no welding, and of course the Polyethylene.

It depends on the application. If it's for activating valves, operating tools, etc. go for carbon steel, it's much cheaper than stainless or copper.
If however it is used for conveying air for human use or on food (medical air, air for filing SCUBA tanks), then health officials will demand stainless and/or copper.
If it will be used for both, then go with the "cleaner" option. Consider here also using two separate systems.

You probably should ask for a recommendation from you packaging equipment supplier.

The use of carbon steel pipe is discouraged as it can corrode in the presence of moisture in the compressed air. Other piping materials such as aluminum, copper, stainless steel, plastic, are encouraged. Plastic pipe is attractive because it is inexpensive and easily modified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back