Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Compression aqueous 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lcfigueiredo

Materials
Oct 5, 2012
Hello all,

I am developing a study of a new material and I came across the problem that seems to have no solution ...

The material that I am developing is an aqueous suspension with small particles of paper ... let us consider for example the effect of pulp ...

What I wanted was to find a way to get "shed" the material into a mold and some system or method (high pressure, vacuum, or whatever it is) able to remove all excess water and compact the material ...

Look at what happens when we have a bit of pulp (just an example of having a bit of toilet paper soaked in water) in hand and shook his hand ...happens that eliminated almost all the water and the paper is compacted ... want to do this but even within a mold that has to be rigid to maintain the desired shape at the end ..

I hope someone could help me in this!

Thanks,
Lcfigueiredo

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Get someone to explain how a papermaking machine works, or better yet, show you one in operation.

At least Google Fourdrinier.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Basically you can do this way:
- suspension must be well mixed, then
- pour the mixture in the container (one side of the cavity)
- drive (pneumatic driven) the container to other side of the cavity (usually fixed side). This cavity needs to have a lot of small holes all over the surface and applied vacuum in order to suck the water out.
- when the water is sucked-out, shut the vacuum of, remove the contained and through same line which was used for vacuum put in compressed air in order to eject the part.

Regards

Your process from the extremely limited information seems like a paper making process. The technology is well established and is in cheap moulds that do not need to withstand extreme pressure. They might be made of wood or aluminium.

The moulds you show are for injection moulding thermoplastics, They are normally made of high grade tool steel and cost a lot. They withstand injection pressures of over 20,000psi (well over 1000 bar) and temperatures over 250 deg C

We cannot reconcile the differences.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

Process described in previous post can be used for formed shapes as well. Generally has the fixed mold defined shape and the container has flat bottom. Reason for this is in material volume deviation form "shot-to-shot" and there-fore uneven wall thickness.
I never tried to use formed container bottom. Perhaps could work!

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back