Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Compressor Bearing Vibration

Status
Not open for further replies.

rasmumm

Mechanical
Apr 11, 2002
US
A Motor that drives our centac air compressor has suddenly increased vibration readings with a dominant peak at 2X which is extremely close to being BSF. It increased over 7 days from .058ips to .142ips. There is a cyclical noise being emmitted from the bearing that I can detect using ultrasonics. My question is, this being a 3600rpm motor, how long do I have before I should replace the bearing?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is it possible that the 2 X increase is actually at 2 X Line feq. (120 Hz)> If you don't have enough spectral resolution, it can be hard to distinguish on a 2-pole motor. Increased 120 Hz vibration is related to a motor electrical problem of some sort. I have seen a poor electrical connection on one phase create a substantial increase at twice line frequency, and "softfoot" or stator problems could also be causing the increase.

Tim Wechsler

You said that your compressor has "suddenly" increased vibration readings with a dominant peak at 2X. I suspect your motor of softing foot. You have to check the tightness of feet as well as alignment before replacing the bearing.

Regards,
Jason

Hi, In my experience as an analyst over 13 years, I believe your problem is probably eloectrical. One way to check is to cut the power while monitoring the motor to see if the sound and level suddenly quits. You should take some high resolution spectra to see if it is 2X running speed or electrical. Good Luck
Tophat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back