Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer Program for Electric Utilities 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hugop973

Electrical
Oct 1, 2008
US
What are the advantages and disadvantages of computer programs PSSE, ASPEN, and IDRAW.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Advantages & disadvantages for who? Compared to what? Never heard of IDRAW, but PSSE and ASPEN do different things and a utility might well use both.

I know that Utilities can use either PSSE or ASPEN for power flow, short circuit analysis, stability. If you have the two softwares, what software would you recommend to use and why?

Thanks

In our utility, PSSE is used for modelling Transmission lines, generators etc. I'm probably dating myself a bit, but it has the advantage that you can run scripts to look at multiple scenarios and 'let it run'. For example, find the fault level on hundreds of busses with a single run. It also has add-ons that allow substransient modelling, so you can see how each generator handles disturbances and see what happens with voltages and generators. In North America, lots of utilities use it so that all can share system info with each other in a compatible format.

On the Dist side, we use CymeDist, which has analysis features geared for that. Things like where to put a cap bank, arc flash, protection coordination, alternate sources. It works with CymTCC which is geared to Protection coordination.

Also, our utility uses Aspen for Protection Coordinaton on Transmission, though I don't specificlly know what the pluses are since I haven't used it.

Hope this helps,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back