Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

computer programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

MathCad, Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and a pipeline model (but I hate all of the pipeline models that are currently for sale, the best "affordable" one is probably PipeSim, but it ain't cheep and has some significant limitations).

I need a process model a couple of times a year and generally find that the limited need can be accomplished in some really complex MathCad files I've developed over the years to keep from having to spend $15-20k/year on Hysys or Prosim.

To me the one indispensable program is a math engine. I've had great luck with MathCad, but the new user interface with Mathmatica probably makes it about as good. I haven't tried PTC's replacement for MathCad since the pre-release free feel I got which I hated.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

"Belief" is the acceptance of an hypotheses in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.

David- I am with you totally on the good of mathcad and the bad of prime.
I was a Mathmatica user in university and I will have a look into how it is today.

I used it in my theses prep and HATED it. I've seen some demo's that make me think that if MathCad goes away all is not totally lost.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

"Belief" is the acceptance of an hypotheses in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.

No program is "essential" for simple pipe or pipeline engineering, but some programs are essential when it comes to performing certain calculations related to hydraulics, stress analysis, heat transfer, operational simulations and the like. Some programs are useful for material control, rather than analysis of stresses and hydraulics. Some programs do certain basic things in that regard, ie. simple steady hydraulic analysis, but will not do more advanced calculations, transient analysis, etc. If you could be more specific in expressing your particular needs, you might get a better discussion going.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it's not safe ... make it that way.

I think it might be of help if you clarify a bit what you mean by "piping engineer"?

For now, I would like to point out Epanet as a free yet powerful and easy-using hydraulic modeling tool for steady and extended time modes.

Some waterhammer analysis software would benefit a lot of piping engineers understand the dynamic behaviour of the fluids in their systems. Also the fluid structure interface can be modelled.

You might also consider some heat transfer software. 3E Plus is free
“The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.”
---B.B. King

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back