Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Computer Requierments NX5

Status
Not open for further replies.

andreskralj

Industrial
May 22, 2007
AR
Whats a good computer for working nx5 with no trouble, i'll make it up so i wont buy a dell or other brand one. So if anybody knows or has experience in this i would like to know what are the musts in relation to processors, ram memory , mother board etc?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, if you build your own AND have problems GTAC could say it is hardware related and leave you to figure out the problem on your own. GTAC will only support systems that they have certifed. Even if you build your own system with same major components, that doesn't make it a certified system.

For any system, how large are your models and assemblies? Will they load on a 4 GB system without problems. If not, then you need to look at XP64bit OS components.

Fastest processor you can afford.
Mother board with fast architecture.
<ost memory you can afford. 4GB max in a 32bit OS system, 6 minimum in a 64bit OS.
Best Nvidia Quadro FX card you can afford, 256MB. A 512MB graphics card would be better.
Hard drive config depends on local or netwrok stoatge availability. If network storage is available, just a 80GB for the C drive is plenty. Local storage, 89GB for C and a couple of 250's in a RAID for your data.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

And as long as you're building it yourself, opt for Raptor, or 10,000 rpm, hard drives. They usually are limited to around 80 GB in size, but they can improve performance significantly both for when you launch NX and if you open and save parts to folders on one of these higher-speed drives.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Product Line
SIEMENS PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

Get a dual processor and set UGII_SMP_ENABLE=1 in the ugii_env.dat file. UG (Parasolid) can get some significant benefit from dual processors, so if you anticipate lots of boolean type operations, this will help significantly.

What about running NX-5 under Linux. I'm keen to hear how it compares with Windows Vista for example. I've heard scarcely a good word for Vista, and I know that NX for Linux was being released, but I've heard nothing in that vein recently.

Yours Curiously,

Hudson

Guys before anything i may add, thanks for the info.

Now about the Mac OSx what about the new Leopard thing is NX5 ready for that? and anyways is there any significant change when using NX5 on mac?
Thanks once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back