Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Concentrating NaOH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Procman

Chemical
Mar 19, 2004
ZA
We are looking at installing a new process. However, this process requiress the use of large quantities of NaOH solution. Once we have treated our product with the caustic soda, the soda is washed out resulting in a NaOH solution of 5.5% As a result of using large quantities of NaOH, it will not be possible to dump the spent caustic and use fresh caustic in the process. We need to re-use the NaOH, but in order to be able to do so, we need to concentrate up from 5.5% to 50%.

Is there any technology other than evaporation that can be used (that will be more cost effective). If not, where can I obtain typical costs of such an evaporation plant?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Manufacturers of evaporation plant will gladly help you. There is some information on internet.Try googling with "NaOH concentration". Once I found a three stage evaporation plant flow sheet with emmbeded calulations program but I lost the source.
m777182

Just wondering- if you chill the stuff, can you get the NaOH to crystallize out? Or is there any practical way to do that as a continuous process?

nbucska,

we are going to use couterncurrent washing, however, we need the caustic at a specific concentration, which means that we still have to concentrate up (therefore the figures given above). Thanks for the help anyway.

Procman,

Have you looked at membrane technology. The use of standard RO membranes may not be appropriate due to other ions in the solution. There are some new development in the field that could withstand the high concentrations you are looking for. This might not get you to 50% but it could be used ahead of evaporation to lower the amount of water to evap.

marcusmcgee,

we are also looking at RO. We can prabably concentrate up to 20% via RO but still need to get to about 50% for our process to work.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back