Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Concentric Mating

Status
Not open for further replies.

drhine

Mechanical
Apr 17, 2003
US
Ok, Maybe I have been staring at this SolidWorks screen to long or something. But I have a round pipe I need to mate to a hole cut out through a tapered surface. How do I accomplish this? The only mates it will give me are tangent and parallel.

Here is how I created the cut out:

I created a plane just above my tapered surface (not parallel with the service) and sketched the circle, then extrude cut through all. My thinking on this was it would give me a true cut to my flat surfaces which would be an angled cut to my tapered surface... So please tell me have I done anyting wrong here?

Any and all input would be appreciated.

Drhine

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Nevermind, I figured out what I was doing wrong... DUH!!!

I had to uncheck NORMAL CUT when I did my cut extrude...

However, your question brings up an interesting point. I notice that in SW 2003 some EDGES that are truely geometric conic sections (in my case circles) consider themselves to be splines when using mates!!!! However if you open a sketch and reference the edge using relationships, it considers it to be a true circle.......... Hmm......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back