Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Concrete Admixtures 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zambo

Civil/Environmental
Jun 5, 2003
SG
I m looking for an online resource that will start me off on a guideline i am starting to make. I want to find out the typical base chemicals that are used in both concrete plasticisers and retarders (my expectation being that a retarder for example could be based on 2 or 3 different chenicals). Once i have this as a starting point i will consider any advantages (perhaps cost) or disadvantages (perhaps causing "stinkiness" of the mix). I will check also for any reported compatibility issues. Any body got suggestions where to find any information?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Most of that information is proprietary and you won't get much of that. General information can be obtained from the American Concrete Institute and the Portland Cement Association.

You can try getting the Material Safety Data Sheet for each admixture. Sometimes that goes a little beyond the proprietary information.

Zambo,

If you're looking for the types of compounds in general I would highly suggest purchasing "Design and Control of Concrete Mixtures" 15 or 16 Ed. The older additions can be found online as PDFs if you don't want to pony up for the hard copy.

If you're looking for something specific, like the chemicals in Sika HRWR then as the poster above said, it's usually proprietary information and not available.

Type this search string into Google and you will find numerous online resources from both professional associations & manufacturers.

"continuing education for engineers, concrete admixtures"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back