Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

concrete chemical plant structures? v steel ?...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesbanda

Chemical
Sep 21, 2004
US
Dear all,

I have personnaly never seen a concrete chemical plant stucture instead of steel. In our project group we have had a suggestion to consider concrete instead of steel due to the plant location and avilability of cheap concente.

Can anyone point me in the best direction for background reading on the topic?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Steel's easier/quicker to build and to alter later, since most of the work can be done off-site under factory conditions. (Steel-reinforced) concrete is more fire-resistant and may be cheaper in your case- depends on your labour costs.

the labour costs are cheap the plant is in asia and all the build will be on site.

So it sounds like you have seen concerte on a whole plant stucture? (right?)

Its the formwork that's expensive. Most structural concrete (above foundation level) in use in chem plants and refineries is reserved for support of very heavy elevated reactors and easily precast and field erected items, such as pipe supports and warehouse building wall panels. Add in the cost of the formwork and the 30 day set up delays everywhere and see if it makes "cents".

BigInch[worm]-born in the trenches.

Seen concrete pours in Asia, make sure the QC is done on raw materials and pouring methods. Also need to consider chemical exposure and protection of the concrete.

Mark Hutton

thanks Mark,

I find it hard to imagine a whole plant struture possible with concrete..

with steel you have "space" in the gratings and therefore fire relief cases are not valid above a certain height. how are concrete plant structures done?..or is steel grating still used just concrete and the supports of the frame?

I've done some heavy concrete frames inside surrounding steel structures for reactor supports where the columns and main reactor support framing were concrete, but the rest of the structure was all steel stairways, valve access platforms and floor gratings. There were some concrete slabs laid over steel beams to make up some floored areas for auxiliary equipment.

BigInch[worm]-born in the trenches.

james.

Consider posting this question in a structural engineering forum.

Process plant design is an exercise in opposing interests and objectives. While a plant designed using structural steel may have lots of maintenance access space, using a concrete design for the walls and supports in the same plant may be too tight for equipment maintenance.

I believe that this book touches on the subject briefly:

Please keep us informed of any final decisions or corporate policies that you may find

Regards.......

-MJC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back