Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Concrete cracked repair 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

colonelbogart

Electrical
Jul 29, 2005
PH
We're operating a meat processing plant with Freezers operating between -18°C to -27°C. The two huge freeers is separated by a an insulated wall with a roll-up door. Problem now...There's A crack along the opening of this door 2 to 4 inches wide and around 2 meters in lenght. How we are going to rectify this? We cannot shutdown or raise the temp to allow for concrete to dry. Is there any method applicable?

Colonel Bogart

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You might want to talk to a local consultant; your problem appears to be pretty complex. The crack (in the wall? at the door? whatever?) appears to be pretty significant. I don't know if the cause is differential settlement, heave, thermal movement, or whatever. If it is differential settlement it may be possible to remedy it by using an auger piling system or something of that ilk. The information you presented is pretty sparse for the problem.

Dik

Sorry for the delay...
The crack was a failed in concrete. I cannot confirm the real cause but it seems a thermal movement. My real concern is when hotair below condensed then freezes the whole or huge part of the flooring might raise. Is there any fillings that we can use to fill the gap or cracked?

Thanks a lot

You still have to determine the cause in order to effect a manner of repair. A 2"-4" crack seems much for only thermal movement unless the problem is heave. Where is the hotair (sic) coming from? If it is moist, it can be dessicated and maybe diminish the amount of movement; if dessicated, it will likely remove moisture from the soil.

I still don't think I understand the problem or cause.

Dik

You stated that you operate meat plant with cold storage equiped wide overhead doors, so the concrete could be seperated or like you said cracked. The separation is the result of certain foundation movements. This could be caused by a varity of reasons since this is cold storage some of the areas of the floor may be causing moisture to contense or you could have other moisture problems such as roof drainage, plumbing from the under the slab. more investigation should be conducted such as have all roof drains checked for leakage, and other plumbing test to determine if you have these problems. the reason for the movement must be found and rectified prior to any foundation repairs are done. Hope this of some help
lynken Tompkins & Associates

Sorry - forgot to add - you should be looking for references on ice rinks and cold storage buildings on the net. Sounds like your problem. If you go to the site I just gave, check out CBD-61 and CBD-64.

colonelbogart

Does the roll-up door separating the freezers pass many heavily loaded fork lift trucks? Is there other machinery near the doorway? How is the door anchored to its lintel? How much of the wall surrounding the doorway is subjected to freezing? What else is above the doorway? Does the wall receive other thermal input/outflow?

The previous commentors have given you good advice. You need the services of a consultant.

Good luck.

[cheers]

Thanks for the valuable notes.

The subject door is not a traffic one. The door was merely a connection between the two huge freezers with the same temp also. The the door was simply an opening on the insulated wall (about 6" thick. No other installation under the slab of the freezers other than perforated pvc pipes intended to trap hot air. The pipes burried on compacted soil and gravel, lean concreate, an insulation material then the concrete slab. the insulated wall intersects with the insulation on the flooring.

I am wondering if the injection of grouting will work.

Thanks

If cracking and differential settlement have stabilized, instead of grouting about using a flexible compound suitable for cold temperatures, odorless and nontoxic to food stuff. In addition you can mill the concrete to level the surfaces but watch out for concrete dust. You may have to encapsulate the work area to prevent food contamination.

There are epoxy compounds formulated for concrete repair in these conditions. Did a similar repair about 20 years ago. Check the internet for low temperature epoxy and food service application.

Thanks, JAE....been busy getting my little venture off the ground. Starting to settle down now so that I'm only working two halves of the day instead of three!

PS....JAE...you're gonna love this...my younger son has now decided that he wants to be an....an.....an....ARCHITECT! If he sticks with it I'll be coming to you for coping advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back