Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Concrete crushing model

Status
Not open for further replies.

valval

Structural
Nov 1, 2012
IT
Hi all!
I'm an engineering student and I'm new to ANSYS. I've to do a fem analysis for my thesis.
What I've to model is the breaking of a concrete block.
My problem is that I want to do an axisymmetric model and then display the cracking
and crushing lines.

I've found in some tutorials that the only way to model concrete's breaking is using SOLID65 which hasn't got the axisymmetric option. Have I understood right?

In case SOLID65 isn't usable in axisymmetric mode, can I use another element type in axisymmetric mode?

Can you please help me also with some information about modeling concrete material?

Thanks a lot,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yep afraid so. SOLID65 is the only element available with the concrete option for crushing and cracking. Therefore if you want to model with axisymmetric elements you can do this in ansys but you won't be able to have concrete crushing and cracking. However, if your model has lines of symmetry (and your loading is axisymmetric - this is important) you may be able to take advantage of this and create a reduced solid model with appropriate symmetry boundary conditions which will help reduce your model size.

------------
See faq569-1083 for details on how to make best use of Eng-Tips.com

Hi Drej,

I reply this post just try to find you (Drej). I found you replied and provided a very useful macro to make a helical spring. It is very impressive (thread569-124712, macro(2)).

I do have a few question to ask you.
1) how to put a non-coil end at each end (see the attachment)? It also need to be meshed correctly.
2) how can I apply load so one end will rotate relative to the other end? I would like to know circumferential strain on the inner and outer surface of the turns under this pure rotation. I do not sure how to express the circumferential strain either.

I am new to Ansys. You are expert. Please help.

Thanks a million.

Steve
p.s. here is my email: country_roadhe@hotmail.com

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=8e017d02-d88a-417e-9508-2b
How we can have varies tensile/compressive strength varies with temperature in SOLID65?
I want to add the properties in workbench/simulation by adding a command under geometry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back