Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Concrete Cure Room Shelving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarah_

Civil/Environmental
Jan 24, 2017
US
Hello,

My lab has a cure room with older shelving. We are running out of space for the number of samples we get, and I'm thinking of building new shelves to optimize the space in the room. The shelves are older, and no one who currently works here knows who built them. They are fairly rugged as well, and have 4 shelves each which we use for sorting samples by date. There is some empty space in the corners, which if we design new shelving we could use, and not have to install a separate tank elsewhere.

Does anyone have experience building shelving for concrete cure rooms? What is the best material? Our old ones are wood, presumably with some sealant to keep them from rotting. What would be the best sealant if we make new ones from wood again? Any other things to keep in mind with the damp conditions in the cure room? I'm hoping to make similar shelves to what we have, just slightly taller and using the dead space in the corners, but I don't want to build something that will rot or fall apart quickly.

Thanks so much for any ideas!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not cheap, but if you must use shelves, stainless steel expanded metal with stainless steel angle frame. Use a weldable stainless steel.

Definitely have to use shelves, there's not enough floor space for tanks! Also I really hate tanks anyway, all that bending over and being permanently damp :(

Thanks so much for the input on stainless steel for material, I'll look into it! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back