Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Concrete Cure Room 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

twochickstesting

Geotechnical
Jan 6, 2012
US
I am looking for someone to setup my concrete cure room using a metal storage container. I am located in Lake Elsinore, CA. Please respond if you can help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You'll probably have to do it yourself...most are done that way. Don't know of any service that will do it for you, though there might be one.

I've built and set up several of them. Most difficult problem you will have (besides the obvious corrosion issue with a shipping container) is the control of the temperature. Moisture control is relatively easy. Temperature control...not so much.

Hi Ron - Thanks for the info. The storage container will be inside a concrete tilt up warehouse. Although it will not be in a temperature controller room I didn't think it would be that difficult. Maybe I will need to rethink my design. I haven't purchased the container. It was between that or a snap together freezer type room.

The freezer-type rooms are reasonably well insulated, making them better for this purpose. Have seen freezer rooms re-purposed as moisture rooms.

Do an internet search for the effects of curing temperature on concrete test results. You should find several articles on this and in them you'll see the need for tight temperature controls.

For moisture distribution, use "misting nozzles" that are made for the horticulture industry. They produce a very fine fogging mist. You'll have to provide a filter on the water particularly if you have hard water as they will clog up from the solids.

You can control the temperature by the use of hot and cold water, but you might need to provide additional cooling and heating with an ac and heating unit.

Good luck.

You can also make the curing room out of CMU wall, say 10' x 10' ft x 8' high and a new 1' thick concrete floor. Inside this room, you can set up wooden shelves made of 2x6 pressure treated lumber. The fogging system as described by Ron.

Pay attention to the geometry of the room. A rectangular room is easier to keep the moisture and temperature consistent. Put the door on one of the ends, not the side.

Moisture nozzles can be put down the length of the center and likely serve the whole room without an additional line. At most, you will need only two lines of nozzles. Be sure to loop the line for consistent pressure.

Bring the air (heated and cooled, into the room on the end opposite the door. That prevents temperature swings when you have the door open for moving specimens in and out.

Is this concrete cure room requiring steam heat which can be provided by a direct fired steam generator, which is whate we used when we cured concrete pipes.

We use soak tanks here through the winter since we don't usually cast any beams, which is great most of the time. We end up having to stack the cylinders one on top of the other. Also, when we come back up to full swing (usually late March-April), we have to put the cylinders back on the shelves. What kind of strength specimens do you take? Cylinders (4x8 or 6x12) or beams?

When you install the CMU room, make sure you have plenty of floor drains. There is a pretty big issue with that here in my lab. Also be sure you can seal the room up as best as you can.

chicopee -

The concept of direct fired steam generators can give some different results, although it is convenient.

If you do large volumes of samples, a square room with a door large enough for a forklift can allow the door to be closed (mist instead of direct combustion) to maintain the curing conditions for the remaining samples - no shock or variability. For concrete curing, a massive wall and roof system provides more thermal stability than a steel insulated structure.

Nothing wrong with water tanks since they do help to maintain conditions.

Dick

Engineer and international traveler interested in construction techniques, problems and proper design.

stonemason101...read the posts above! I gives lots of information and tips. There have been other posts in the forums on the same subject...do a search.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back