Concrete finishing 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Structuralconcrete

Structural
Apr 18, 2021
US
Hello all,
Not sure how many of you are familiar with finishing concrete slabs but I have a dilemma that has yet to be solved.
We have poured several slabs in this project and unfortunately they have not gone as planned. The first interior slab we poured was a metal deck and we had small silver dollar sized areas of delamination.
Keep in mind we have poured millions of square feet of concrete slabs and only recently started running into this issue. The first thought was maybe the mix design has some issues. The design was tweaked for the second pour and that one went perfect but apart from the second pour all other slabs have had these small spots of delamination (2-3 spots).
Its been a a couple months of pouring and after changes to the mix these random spots continue to appear. What could be causing this to come about so sporadically?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

@structuralconcrete.....my book is a textbook that is used by about 50 colleges and universities in the US and Canada for Construction Engineering and Construction Management Programs. It is a general coverage of a variety of topics. The title is "Principles and Practices of Commercial Construction" and is published by Pearson.

Well, ain't that funny. I certainly have Ron's book on my shelf. I use it mainly as a general pointer on how to think about subjects I don't do day in and out. I typically cross reference it against Fundamentals of Building Construction: Materials and Methods which was written by a pair of architects (something which I struggle with because....it's by architects!!)

Also, appreciate the shout-out in your preface haha [wink]

Pic_rxgsy3.png

Great book... I tried to get a couple of lecturers use it for their courses without success...

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Thanks, Guys. I appreciate it. I try in each edition to improve the information. If you have suggestions, I would appreciate them!

I didn't think the first one could be improved on.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Gud buk[lol]

Dik

-Dik

@dik...[lol]

@Jim...I try to not promote my book on the site, but have been asked for the title a few times.....thanks for asking.

91AwOQovsVL._AC_UY436_QL65__jdqgid.jpg

"Principles and Practices of Commercial Construction", 10th edition, Pearson
W. Ronald Woods, Cameron K. Andres and Ronald C. Smith
ISBN-13: 978-0134704661
ISBN-10: 0134704665

Both Cam Andres and Ron Smith have long since passed away.

@enable...where are you in Ontario? I used to be a partner in an engineering firm based in Toronto (Brampton). At that time it was The Trow Group....now it is exp

Ron, we are in Oakville but I know Trow moderately well. I'm not sure of your timeline but you may even know my father as he was part of Trow several decades back. I'm not certain of his title but in effect he ran the restoration division in the early to mid 1980s before branching on his own (maybe David Cousins rings a bell). I always found his choice of office location particularly humorous because he bought a unit not 5 minutes down the street from the Trow main Brampton location.

Small world!

@enable....a small world indeed. Yes, I recall the name. I worked closely with John Bickley, the concrete guru; Chris Thompson, the head Geotech, Vlad Stritesky, the roofing guru, and John Emery, the pavement guru (John left Trow and started JEGEL...specializing in pavements and geotechnical. I ran the US operation at that time (1983-1989), before buying out my partnership and then selling to a larger, international firm....Law Engineering, a company that I worked for before starting my own business and then associating with Trow.

Trow was a class act. Bill Trow's legacy lives on. Will forever remember my association with great fondness for the friendships and professional interaction.

Thanks for the history, Ron. John Bickley was the first real concrete expert I met... he was well versed in concrete parking garage deterioration due to salt... one of the first.

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back