Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Concrete flat slab support near opening

Status
Not open for further replies.

milkshakelake

Structural
Jul 15, 2013
US
I'd love to get a second opinion on the flat slab layout shown below. I think it's okay personally. The load path seems okay. I'm only concerned about the area shown with markups.

Screenshot_2024-02-14_110644_wr4l4o.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you have performed FEM analysis of the slab . Can you post the deformed shape , M11, M22 diagrams?
I would consider extending the RC wall at the lift shaft ( paralel to property line ) to cover the subject openings . Typical reinf. detail around the holes adding the clashed reinf. to four sides and provide diagonal corner reinf.

According to the grace of God which is given
unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. . . .
I Corinthians 3:10

You don't have edge beams on the long sides, right? Flat plate?

In general, I'm fine with the layout if the numbers work. A longish cantilever supporting an exterior wall system is certainly something to pay careful attention to though. Cantilevers have a nasty habit of deflecting upwards unpredictably in my experience.

@HTURKAK I have not done FEM modeling yet. Just some dirty, quick hand calcs. Yeah, I was thinking of extending that shear wall, but I wanted to make an informed decision first. Maybe it can work without doing that.

@KootK Yeah, no edge beams. Got it, I'll look into that. I also ran into the problem of upwards deflection exceeding L/120 or whatever, when the rest of a member is perfectly fine.

Similar to HTU's comment, a post at the location shown below would have curb appeal. Ideally concrete but, if there's not space for that, perhaps an HSS 5x5. An edge beam right there would be best but I know that NYC contractors don't really do beam formwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back