Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

concrete mix design for 3" slab on wood framing

Status
Not open for further replies.

HouseBoy

Structural
Nov 21, 2005
US
I'm looking for ideas (your experience) with concrete mix design for a 3" topping slab placed over 2x12 joists supported by steel beams.
Basic framing is 2x12 spanning 12 ft to W10x77 beams spanning 24 ft (so relatively stiff framing).
Control joints will be placed approximately 12' x 12'.

Jan/Feb JLC article suggests a good bond break (SlopeShield Plus SA). That sounds good.

Concrete surface will be ground. Naturally we will need to appreciate the aggregate size and depth of grinding.
We might do some sample mixes (so the client can see the results).

I'm MOST INTERESTED IN:

1. Experiences with fibre mesh and/or polymer additives for this use.

2. How to install the joints.
Architect will want very thin joints. I don't think tooled joints will be thin enough.
I'd love to see zip strips BUT ... they sometimes don't stay perfectly straight.
Anyone with experience with that or another similar product that can be held in place?
They might consider placing concrete in sections but I think they will be concerned but possible color match.
Second choice might be saw cut joints BUT... I can't always get them to go in at the exact right time (sometimes too late).

I saw a warehouse floor with 50 ft joint spacing using some kind of "flexible" concrete mix. (can't remember the product name).
Anybody aware of something like that that can be ground?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back