Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Concrete pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

puugee

Geotechnical
Jun 12, 2003
US
We are doing a preliminary study on trenchless installation of a 16 inch waterline. We are looking at various trenchless installation methods. The project site is contaminated with fuel/petroleum. Will there be a problem with corrosion of the concrete pipe in an area contaminated with fuel/petroleum? The concrete pipe will be installed using microtunneling methods.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As far as I know, petroleum should not harm concrete. It will dissolve asphalts.

This sounds very strange however. Are you installing concrete pipe or steel pipe which is mortar lined and coated ? This is what in the US is called concrete cylinder pipe. In 16-inch size there are several other pipe material you might want to consider including Ductile Iron, and one or two others.

Some DIP manufacturers have come up with a "hubless" pipe for trenchless applications. I'd go with that rahet than a 16" concrete pipe. The tunnel will be much smaller and you might be able to HDD the line in.

I agree with dicksewerrat that HDD should be considered as I expect cost savings and I guess that the added directional accuracy of micro-tunneling is not required. HDPE pipe has a good resistance to chemicals and is suitable for HDD.

Zambo

We believe that HDPE installed by HDD and/or pipebursting would be good options. However, our city water department (Honolulu) believes that petroleum contamination would have adverse effects on the pipe. I am trying to find documents or case histories that can support the use of HDPE pipe in petroleum contaminated areas. Does anyone know where I can get them?

I know HDPE is used extensively by the petroleum industry - whether it is used for petroleum lines, I do not know, but you might just check with your HDPE supplier or many of the HDPE lining companies for documentation about the subject.

Ivanlocke's comment confused me for a while but now I get the point. If HDPE used for carrying petroleum or gas likely resistant to contaminated ground. Some HDPE manufacturers have pipe with an abrasion resistant skin for installation by HDD, may not be required depends on the soil conditions. I don't know US companies but Wavin, Uponor, Fusion and Petzetakis can all provide technical information on their products.

Zambo

Back in the mid 1990's while working as a regulator in California, we had frequent occurances where the plastic service lines that were in areas of petroleum contamination often gave a gasoline or fuel smell to the drinking water. I was told that some plastic pipe (I'm assuming to be HDPE) can act like a membrane and transfer chemical compounds through osmosis. I never experienced this first hand, but it is a good question to ask the companies. Also, I would get a list of drinking water installations in petroleum contaminated areas and find out if it's working well.

If there are no suspected problems, HPDE is a great material I've used in trench-less river crossings. I've also used it in my pipe-bursting sewer projects. No problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back