Concrete Protective Posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

RosemarieGeiger

Specifier/Regulator
Aug 30, 2023
US
Hello Everyone,
I'm currently in charge of creating an RFP (Request for Proposal) for concrete protective posts to be installed at each side of light bollards at a condo community in Southern California. The light bollards are at each end of parallel parking spots and frequently are hit while drivers are trying to park between the light bollards. The condo association would like to have protective posts installed so that the vehicle will hit the post before hitting the light bollard. The posts should not be able to move. There are 3x3 in ground planters at each location where the posts can go into the ground, without breaking into any hardscape. Barring any irrigation or electric where the post hole would go, how deep would the hole need to be? How tall would the post need to be, overall, to go in the ground and to be high enough so that most vehicles would hit it and not drive over it. Would a 2" diameter post suffice or should it be bigger? Can these be made or better to be bought? I have looked online and can't find any premade that are round and not square. What would be the most cost effective way to solve this issue? Whether they are metal posts or cement posts, they would need to be set into concrete. What would the specifications be to set these into concrete. I have contacted local concrete contractors and they have referred me to asphalt companies. The asphalt company referred me to contact concrete company. I'm going in circles, have exhausted my Internet search and need some solid advice. I'm trying to get some direction on specifications to tell the installers what to do and how to do it. The posts should go in the ground and if hit by a vehicle, even over time, should not move.
In the attached photos, you can see the small light bollards along the street and you can see the black protective posts on each side of the bollards. These were removed approximately 8 years ago because the posts were all crooked from being hit by cars - faulty installation. They were never replaced and now most of the lights are so damaged that they need to be replaced as well. The new lights will not be installed until there are protective posts back in place. I'm needing help regarding the installation of the protective posts.
Thanks in advance for any insight into this project.
Rosemarie

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=991e0dae-e79d-4dce-9c00-7e95fbbbeb3f&file=Vantage_-_Community_Interior2.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the light posts are getting hit all the time then maybe they need to be moved?
Putting concrete posts in front will just make it even harder to park and the concrete posts would get hit even more no?
Damage to the posts would be just as difficult to repair and I think look just as unseemly.

Maybe an enhanced curb ( would be a more elegant solution?

That said, in the UK where I am precast concrete bollards are a common product but they are designed to deter drivers not to be hit frequently.

One issue is that that everything is painted black so people don’t notice the light posts or bollards when they back up. Protective bollards are meant to be sacrificial. They will deform when hit, but are positioned far enough away so as not to damage the equipment they are protecting. But to minimize collisions in the first place, bollards are usually painted bright colors. Aesthetics aside, you could do the following: 1) install concrete piers in the ground, say 3’ deep and 18” in diameter. On top of them, install some cheap safety yellow or neon green plastic posts, 3 feet high and 4” diameter. The idea is that the bollards will be damaged if hit, but the foundations will remain intact. Keep a ready supply so you can replace ones that get hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back