Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Concrete retaining wall loaded with hydrostatic pressure showing incorrect displacement shape 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

T.E.Dada

Structural
Jan 21, 2020
US
Hello everyone,

I have modelled a reinforced concrete retaining wall using the 3D Solid element in ABAQUS.

The wall is expected to retain hydrostatic pressure and such was modelled accordingly by applying the pressure over the targeted surface with the base of the retaining wall being fixed.

However, the displacement shape is different from what is expected analytically. The maximum displacement on the contour is not at the free end as expected when solved analytically. What can I do to rectify this?

Thanks in anticipation.

New_Picture_zwrbgf.png

New_Picture_1_atqgyv.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Make sure that the value of "Zero pressure height" is correct and that there are no unnecessary constraints. From the deformation plot it seems that the edge on the back of the wall's top surface is fixed.

Thanks for your reply.

I have checked the value at the zero height and the constraints. Everything seems fine except the result.

Could you attach the .cae or .inp file here ? I would take a look and try to find the error.

Redundant constraint seemed the most probable cause of this unexpected deformation. But since you say that there are no such overconstraints in the model then there must be another reason. Finding it requires detailed examination of the whole analysis setup, hence the request for model’s files.

This strange behavior is caused by too much stabilization in your model. Take a look at ALLSD vs. ALLIE in history output.
Reduce the stabilization factor.

Many thanks for your reply

Problem solved. I used specific damping factor for my automatic stabilisation initially. Changing the option to "None", solved the problem.

Thanks for pointing to the too much stabilisation in the model. I really appreciate you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back