Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Concrete shell design with CEB\fib 2010 (three-layer model) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LonelyDeer

Structural
Dec 30, 2015
RU
Hello. I have a question about design of concrete shells with three-layer method described in p.7.3.2.2 fib Model Code for concrete structures.
The main idea of method is that we divide shell on three layers. The outer layers provide resistance to the in-plane effects of both the bending and the in-plane axial loading, while core provides a shear transfer between the outer layers.

The action effects of applied loads are expressed as eight components, three moments per unit width(m[sub]x[/sub],m[sub]y[/sub],m[sub]xy[/sub]), three axial forces per unit width (n[sub]x[/sub],n[sub]y[/sub],n[sub]xy[/sub]) and two shear forces per unit width ((v[sub]x[/sub],v[sub]y[/sub]) in directions parallel to the orthogonal reinforcement.
(there is positive directions of forces on picture)
pic1_alf8cp.png

Then we use some formula to find forces in the outer layers.

pic3_l3pah1.png

where:
The subscript notation inf and sup refer to the interior and superior faces on the element. The interior face is the tensile face for an element in positive bending.

v[sub]0[/sub]=sqrt(v[sub]x[/sub][sup]2[/sup]+v[sub]y[/sub][sup]2[/sup])

\theta is the inclination of compression stresses in the core layer

Here we have the picture for the equations:
pic2_mfwh7u.png

And here is my question(s):
1. Why is plus sign in equations (7.3-1 - 7.3-3) in front of
/(v[sub]x[/sub])^2/(2*v[sub]0[/sub])
/ (v[sub]y[/sub])^2/(2*v[sub]0[/sub])
/ (v[sub]x[/sub]*v[sub]y[/sub])/(2*v[sub]0[/sub])
2. Why v[sub]0[/sub]*cot(\theta)/2 direction in sup part of shell is the same as inf part?

3.I don't understand how we got this part in equation.
Does anybody have any information about the three-layer model? Can you explain me this part?
Do you know any articles explained this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you, avscorreia!
Your link [URL unfurl="true"]http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=...[/url] is very helpful. I've found some interesting information, but still I don't have an answer.
Now I'm trying to find original articles, writen by prof. Peter Marti:
1. MARTI, P. (1990) – Design of Concrete Slabs for Transverse Shear, ACI Structural
Journal, March-April, p. 180-190.
2. MARTI, P. (1991) – Dimensioning and Detail
ing, Structural Engineering, IABSE, 62,
Stuttgart, Germany, p. 411-443.

I've found only part of article #2, but without main idea of method.

Does anybody have any of these articles?

P.S.
I've wrote a letter to IABSE. Maybe they can help.

Hello.

I've got an answer from IABSE. Now I have article #2 (2. MARTI, P. (1991) – Dimensioning and Detailing, Structural Engineering, IABSE, 62, Stuttgart, Germany, p. 411-443.). After a week I've managed to find correct way to explain this. Here is a small pic with an answer.
P71120-111602_pj8hxp.jpg

The main idea, that picture 7.3-3 is really confusing. Shear component acts in opposite way, but the formula is correct.
I don't know, maybe this will help anybody.
Thank you for help, avscorreia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back