Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Concrete Slab and Wood Piles

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashhafPE

Structural
Mar 24, 2005
US
I am designing a 3-story beach house. My question is the second and third story are being supported by piles that are embedded more than 20' deep in sand. The first floor garage will consist of reinforced concrete slab on grade foundation. Question: what type of material could be used between the wood piles and the concrete slab to allow for expansion or contraction?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Longitudinally, wood is generally dimensionally stable. Usually with wood piles, I use a concrete cap to support the slab.

Dik

I guess since the concrete slab will be poured around the columns, do I need something like an expansion joint around the columns?

Sounds like you are concerned about the radial expansion of the timber piles at the point where they penetrate the slab on grade. I suggest warping them with typical expansion joint material such as this

Even the thinest of theses materials (1/4" for the link above) should be sufficient. Often the concrete slabs are cast directly in contact with timber piling that pass thru the slab - with no problems. But a little "wiggle room" is better, IMHO.

[idea]

I vote for pouring the concrete around the piles with no gap at all. This will give you a fixed connection at the base and really help in stiffening up the building. A pile embedded in the sand is not really a fixed base. Just make sure you have enough concrete and reinforcement around the piles.

The concrete is going to crack, so reinforce it to control them. I am not even sure if you would prevent any additional cracks anyway by providing a gap. I think the added stiffness you will give the building is more important anyway. A lot of beach houses I have been in will make you sea sick if there is a stiff wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back