Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Concrete Slab-On-Grade Control Joint Reinforcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonmm

Structural
Nov 29, 2004
US
I have always detailed my control joints for a slab-on-grade with the reinforcement running continuous through the joint. I show a (1/4)*slab thickness cut and the steel mesh or other reinforcement running continuous. Does anyone terminate there reinforcement at the joint? Why?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For run of the mill thin slabs, I have usually specified that alternate wires are cut at sawn joints. Just go through with bolt cutters and nip out a 4' section of every other wire. And if they saw the joint at the same place, I think it goes some way toward making the crack occur where it is intended.

I detail saw joints to have 1/3 of the reinforcing (rebar not wire mesh) continuous thru the joint. The other bars stop 3" each side of the joint. The purpose of the joint is to create a weakened vertical plane in the slab to cause the slab to crack at that location. If the bars are continuous thru the joint, there is no weakened plane because the rebar holds everything together. It doesn't really matter as far as the servicability of the slab. But having cracks occur in a joint looks better aesthetically than cracks at random locations in the slab. Having 1/3 of the bars continuous thru the saw joint allows the slab to crack in the joint, but helps prevent the slab from settling differentially on each side of the joint. I've used this successfully many times over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back