Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Concrete Types for a Nuclear Power plant 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karim Salib

Mechanical
Mar 14, 2017
EG
Hello, what are the concrete specs and types needed for building a nuclear power plant?
I guess its totally different than a standard power plant for example, especially the containment with very special concrete types?

Also, does anyone have an idea where can i find a typical concrete pouring chart for a nuclear plant construction plan?

Many thanks
Karim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Lots of great design information about nuclear power plants is provided to the public as part of plant licensing in the US and United Kingdom. As an example, the design certification documents (DCD) for new plants are a good source ( or the UFSARs for operating plants.

Concrete types would be covered in Section 3.8 of DCDs. ACI 349 will be the governing standard. In the US, the regulatory typically requires some enhancements to ACI 349.

With respect to concrete pouring chart, what you actually looking for? It will vary based on the specific plant design and the construction sequence selected by the designer and constructor.

Dear Adammal44,

Many thanks for such a quick and prompt response.
i will check those websites immediately and hopefully i can find the relevant information.

Yes, for sure pouring charts depends on the plant design and the construction sequence.

i was mainly looking for a typical pouring chart, and then relate it to specific reactors, such the Russian BN 1200 or BN 800.
Any idea where can i find relevant informatuion about them?

Thanks again
Karim

I may have some pouring charts for basemats and structural modules (nuclear island, non-containment) laying around that are public-space. Is this what you're looking for? Or are you looking for an example of a concrete containment building pouring chart?

What are you actually trying to do? In practice, the designer will have recommendations and then the constructor will adapt the recommendations for the actual pouring chart. Is your goal just understanding?

Thanks Adam and hokie66,
Yes, i mean by concrete pouring chart is the typical concrete aggregate and consumption needed over the construction period of time for a nuclear power plant (1200 MW) per reactor.

I'm trying to know the expected work load of a construction company in terms of types and quantities for the concrete needed for the whole site.
Ofcourse that will be based on designer recommendations, but i just wanted to see a past few examples of this "pouring" chart for similar sized nuclear plants.

Many thanks for your help and response, appreciated.

Karim

Ah, you're looking for the concrete consumption amounts (effectively, amount of bulk commodities used during construction).

Your best bet on this might be searching for publically-available EPRI reports. Most such reports for actual projects will be proprietary.

HEHE i guess so, a not so easy thing to find.

But many thanks for your help, final question, what is the EPRI report? should i just google it and see the outcome?

EPRI is an abbreviation for Electric Power Research Institute. It is a collaborative organization where utilities jointly fund research initiatives that have common interest in the industry. Many of their reports have been released to the public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back