Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Concrete Wet Well Reinforcement Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joncrete

Civil/Environmental
Jan 7, 2010
US
Hi,

I need guidance on the Reinforcement Design of a Concrete Lift Station. I'm not a structural engineer, and do not have the proper software to do this design, so I just wanted to get an idea of what kind of Rebar Schedule you guys typically require. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here are the details:

Normal Weight Concrete

10'8" Square x 23' Deep (Inside Dimensions)
16' Square x 12" Thick Base Slab
12" Walls
8" Lid w/ 67" x 101" Access Hatch

Here is what I had in mind, but I could be way off:

Base Slab: #4 @12 OC EW Double Mat
Walls: #5 @ 9" OC EW
Lid: #5 @ 9" OC EW

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Even though this is a relatively small structure, you really should have a structural engineer either do it or guide you through it. And no software can provide proper reinforcing details.
Now I can get off my soapbox. You didn't say anything about external soil loads. That's likely to control. Usually a box of that size can get away with minimum ACI bending reinforcing (rho=.0033). You need to make your base thicker. if the walls are 12 inches, the base should be at least 2 inches thicker. And the base reinforcing does not meet ACI minimum for bending. It's not clear if you have two curtains of wall reinforcing. You should.
A eight inch thick lid is a little scary, especially for traffic loads.

Thanks for your input, we do plan on having a Structural Engineer design the reinforcement, this is kind of just preliminary budgetary type design.

Good idea on the thicker base slab, we will go with a 14" slab.

The Lid Slab can go thicker, maybe 12"? But there will not be any traffic loads.

I don't know enough about the external soil loads at this site. At this point, we should probably look at relatively high soil loads.

Thanks again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back