Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

condensate temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

kszyho100

Mechanical
Oct 27, 2004
PL
Hi

I am designing a condensate pipeline. I have a problem how to determine condensate temperature.
The condensate pipeline is about 110 m long. Dividied in to two section in a building and outside. The pressure before steam traps is 6 bar. Behind the steam traps I lift the pipeline by 5 m. Then with a constant fall
to a tank with atmospheric pressure.
The outdoor section will be run in preinsulated pipes of max. working temperature 140C. I wonder if it's enough.

Kris

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The condensate after the trap needs a pressure of about 0.5 bar to push condensate over 5m high pipe. And, the temperature of the condensate tank at atmospheric pressure can be at 100C.
IMO, the condensate should be cooled down as soon as possible and to keep the tank temperature below boiling. And, the pipe can be insulated for the personal protection only.

You have to calculate the back pressure on your condensate line (0.5 bar for height difference + pressure drop due to friction from the steam trap to the tank + pressure drop due to fittings). Then use steam tables to evaluate saturated liquid temperature. Please note when sizing condensate line you’re going to have a two-phase fluid as part of the condensate will turn into flash steam.

If your traps have a by-pas you could pass a lot of steam in the condensate line. You need to calculated the pressure drop along the line in that case.

Some design codes require drain (condensate) lines to be designed for the upstream conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back