Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cone Bottom Hopper Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

merton

Petroleum
Jun 19, 2002
CA
I have a customer requesting a cone bottom hopper tank for use in storing drilling mud. The design that has been suggested is a 24'-0" high by 10'-0" diameter tank with a 3/8" thick ASME flanged and dished head for a roof, 1/4" plate for the shell and a 1/4" cone at the bottom with an angle of approximately 60 degrees. There will be a compression ring at the shell to cone intersection. The mud will be pushed out through a flanged connection at the bottom of the cone.

My concerns lie in the fact that in order to agitate the mud to get it flowing, air will be injected into the tank, bringing the internal pressure up to 14.6 psi for extended periods of time.

We have constructed drums before with two ASME flanged and dished heads and 1/4" shells. These were non-registed/non-labeled vessels with a maximum operating pressure of 14.6 psi. I know that the roof of the mud tank can stand these pressures, but I am wondering if the cone will.

I anyone has any experience in the design or use of tanks such as the one I have described above, your comments would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

merton,

Cone shaped heads can be evaluated in accordance with the rules of ASME Section VIII- Division 1. Simply because the vessel or tank does not fall under the ASME code, doesn't mean that you cannot use the rules.

The code rules contain limitations on the cone angle.

Good luck

MJC

MJCronin is correct re ASME Section VIII, Div 1 if included angle of cone does not exceed 60degrees.
API 620 provides design formulas cones & compression rings, for tank pressures to 15 psig, without limitation on included cone angle.

I am curious on how to determine tmin for a bottom cone hopper. The coned part of the tank.

How do you determine adequate thicknesses? sure it is a factor of static head and pressure...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back