Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Config.pro for PDM link

Status
Not open for further replies.

VenkMittu

Mechanical
Mar 21, 2009
SE
Please respond to the following query:
When we start Pro/E using PDM Link, the system should pull the config.pro from PDM Link server rather than pulling it from the local location.How to achieve this requirement?
Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Wildfire will not pull config.pro from the Windchill server. There are methods that can be used to pull a common config.pro file and still allow your deigners access to make changes for their own needs.

Wildfire looks in certain folders for config.pro and these seem to be coded into the software, as does the order the files are processed.
1) Wildfire_Loadpoint_folder
2) $Home
3) Wildfire Start-in Location folder
4) Mapkey run at Wildfire start that reads a config.pro file

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Presently we are using a batch file to pull the correct config.pro and subsequently to start Pro/E from the bin.
I was just wondering if there was some technique for storing config.pro in the server and pulling it to the local machine while opening Pro/E.
Please Comment. Thanks.

vc66, I am assumming you mean copy the config.pro file at each start of Wildfire?
The copy of a text file is so small and fast that the users won't notice it. It assures that everyone is always using the latest company file and that any personalized changes have been made in the proper config.pro.
We used to have a setup like that. It was done by a PTC Application Engineer! Must be in their training.

Ben Loosli

Ben is right, we are using a batch file to ensure that we always have the right config.pro in place.
We use PDM Link and Windchill Product Point for different projects. I was intending to have a config.pro in the server, which could have multiold applications.
Viz making the config file fool proof of any tampering(as per company standards, especially if you have users in different locations, using Pro/E connected to a central server). And secondly, one can remotely control the config settings.
Please let me know if anyone knows a workaround for this.
Thanks.

One option is to do a server install of Wildfire. This makes the loadpoint folder on the server and everyone is then using the same file.
It does slow down the initial startup of Wildfire by about 30 seconds and subsequent Wildfire starts by about 7 seconds. These are after a reboot on Wintel boxes. So you will see the delay every morning at first launch of Wildfire. With a Wintel box, the machine should be rebooted EVERY night to regain memory that Windows doesn't reclaim when an application closes.

Ben Loosli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back